WHAT WE DO IN MONTANA
In 2016, the local government of Montana started the construction of a kindergarten in the Roma neighbourhood Kosharnik. For the last 40 years, this will be the first kindergarten newly built in the municipal territory.
A focus of the activities under the Education component is the improvement of the motivation for learning, the regularity of attendance and educational achievements of the children from full-day kindergarten No. 5 “Daga,” full-day kindergarten No. 8 “Prolet,” Primary School “Georgi Benkovski” in Kosharnik neighbourhood, First Primary School “St. St. Cyril and Methodius” and the Sixth Primary School “Lyuben Karavelov” in Montana, Primary School “St. St. Cyril and Methodius” in Gabrovnitsa. This will be the task of the newly appointed educational mediators – representatives from the Roma community, and of the consultant on integration activities who will work with the children and their parents.
In order to improve their capacity and work more efficiently for the educational integration, the project teams under the Education component will pass the respective training.
Other scheduled activities:
- Additional work with children who do not cover the requirements of the state educational standards. These activities will encompass: all Roma children aged between three and four years who attend kindergartens. Additional lessons will be held with the preschool children (5 – 6 years old) who are about to start their mandatory school education, and additional work will be conducted for the improvement of knowledge for pupils who have difficulties with the learning process, from the first to fourth school grades;
- Extracurricular activities for the pupils (1st – 4th school grades);
- Summer school for the pupils after the 4th school grade in Kosharnik neighbourhood. The objective of this action is to prepare the children for their studies at higher levels in Montana schools;
- Working with the parents to improve their parenting capacity and to motivate them to assure their children’s attendance in school;
- Appointment of educational mediators.
The local government will refurbish certain buildings to make them operable as Health Consultancy Centres in Ogosta neighbourhood (in Montana) and in village Gabrovnitsa. These Centres will be situated in the Roma neighbourhoods or in their close proximity because it has been established that Roma are more motivated to see the doctor and show interest in preventive examinations if the facilities are within reach. The health education and prevention, and the medical examinations will be targeted mainly at children, youths, young mothers and families. The Centres will be equipped according to the contemporary medical standards.
The health prevention and immunization activities will rely on the health mediators and the medical professionals from the Municipal Medical Centre. The mapping will be completed by professional sociologists with the help of the mediators.
Activities of the health mediators:
- Appointment and training of health mediators;
- Mapping and identification of cases needing attention from the health mediators and health specialists;
- Trainings and consultancies with medical professionals and other stakeholders in Montana Municipality for work in the Roma community;
- Health campaigns on health prevention intended to raise the awareness of the vulnerable groups with focus on Roma;
- Work with adolescents from the Roma community on the issues of health prevention – healthcare education in the neighbourhoods;
- Work with parents on the issues of health prevention with focus on women: mother and child health, providing of services for the Roma community in the neighbourhoods;
Activities of the Municipal Medical Centre:
- Improvement of sexual and reproductive health with focus on Roma women.
- Primary and follow-up gynaecological examinations. Supersonic examinations;
- Taking of samples for laboratory tests – microbiology, pap smears, etc;
- Improvement of maternal and child health through the offering of services for pregnant women without health insurances and examinations of newborn babies and young children.
- Organizing of preventive examinations for Roma without health insurances for the purpose of diagnosing socially significant diseases:
- Prevention of cervical cancer;
- Breast cancer;
- Socially significant illnesses: cardio-vascular conditions and diabetes.