WHAT WE DO IN SLIVEN
- Building and furnishing a comprehensive childcare facility (ODZ) and premises for the setting up a nursery and a kindergarten (0-6), a medical unit and a cultural center in Nadezhda.
- Selection and education of 32-member staff for the facility who will be trained to work with bilingual children.
- Organizing of three educational happenings scheduled to involve 3800 neighbourhood residents.
- The “From door to door” campaign will identify and register 350 parents and 150 children aged 0 -6 who are due for enrolment in nursery or kindergarten. Apart from the enrolment of children, the social and economic standing of the families will be assessed and their needs for aid will be specified.
- In the process of identification and registering of children, highly marginalized families will be identified: those who do not have the resource to prepare the set of documents needed for the enrolment of their children in nursery or kindergarten. The campaign’s main target is 200 families who wish to enroll their children in nursery or kindergarten but cannot do that because they are moneyless or illiterate.
- 9 thematic meetings and discussions with the participation of experts and representatives from the institutions will be conducted, theobjective being to provide consultancies and support to parents whose children do not visit regularly the comprehensive childcare facility. 600 neighbourhood residents will be covered by this initiative.
- Creativity events for people from the neighbourhood will be organized under a special program with the participation of a dance teacher, musician and rehearsal coach. A youth dance group of 20 participants will be organized.
- Building and furnishing a Healthcare and Consultancy Centre in Nadezhda,Sliven to host three medical consulting rooms, surgery and auxiliary offices.
- Creating of database on the health state of neighbourhood residents. The information will be collected through questionnaires, analyses, field work and visits to identified families.
- Opening of a Medical Centre in the neighbourhood with two general practitioners, a pediatrician and a gynaecologist.
- Health prevention campaign among the residents of Nadezhda: 14 thematic indoor performances and 9 flash mobs that will cover 3000 neighbourhood residents.
- Access to information and consulting on the matters of sexual and reproductive health. A team of three health mediators and a nurse will deliver 18 modules for better awareness on the subject of family planning. Round tables on the topics of risky behaviour, family planning and unwanted pregnancy with the participation of religious leaders and Roma community leaders from the neighbouhood will be held.
- Organizing of specialized prevention examinations for uninsured residents of Nadezhda: 960 individuals are scheduled to be covered.
- 1000 HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis B and C tests for persons in risk living in the community.
- Improving the quality of medical services for the monitoring of pregnant women and young mothers: monitoring of 300 pregnant women and young mothers without health insurances.
- Free contraceptive aids for women from the risk groups in the Roma community. 450 medical examinations for women without health insurances and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases will be provided. The access to free contraception (pills, coils, condoms) will help women to avoid unwanted pregnancies and to plan their families.
- Development, preservation and cultural continuity among the young and adolescent Roma through a series of events.
- The free “Cultural Calendar” edition will present information about dates and events related to the history of Roma, their holidays, rituals and traditions. “Cultural Calendar” foresees thematic evenings, a poetry contest, celebrating of Bango Vasil, Babinden (Midwife’s Day), Hederlezi, the 8th of April – the International Roma Day.
- Participation of Roma in civil initiatives and advocacy, motivating them to be active participants in the public processes in Sliven.
- A thematic ethnic corner will display artefacts, documents and works by Roma artists and craftsmen. A research through Sliven District will collect objects for a permanent exhibition.